Monday 16 January 2012

An Interview with my husband

So far all of my blogs have centered around my experiences but I am aware that my own depression affected all of my family and friends and that depression causes a ripple effect.

Throughout my depression my husband has been my rock, he has never faltered once no matter what has been thrown at us. He has remained strong and held our family together I honestly don’t know where I would be without him.

I wanted to know how my breakdown and depression has affected him and our family so I have asked him the following questions to try and understand the pressure he has been placed under and how he felt during my darkest times. The answers are unedited.


Q. How has my depression affected our family?

A. It broke us apart and made us stronger in the end, making us a stronger family unit.

Q. How does it feel to live with a depressive?

A. Anxious, I always worry and I’m conscious at the back of my mind how your feeling. I am always conscious about giving heavy criticism and how you will take it. I let things slide more than I would as I would not want to set you back

Q. How do you cope?

A Wine! By having a structured routine.

Q. What is the worst part of living with a depressive?

A. Seeing the lows and not being able to do anything about it. Worrying about how you are managing

Q. Are there any good parts of living with a depressive?

A. No - there are no good parts. But when you love someone as much as you do and you would do anything for them the depression doesn’t matter. I love you for you no matter what, depression is not an issue.

Q. How does it impact your life and needs?

A. It impacts me socially in the past in what I want to do i.e. going out, going the gym my interests and hobbies because you felt so isolated and lonely I try and spend as much time with you so you do not slip back.


Q. Are you able to anticipate a dip in my mood and the onset of my depression reoccurring

A. Yes, and I have in the past

Q. How did it feel to have me admitted to a psychiatric hospital as a result of my depression

A. At the time relieved, a huge burden of pressure was taken away but another huge one added worrying.

Q. Before you experienced my severe depression did you acknowledge depression as an actual illness?

A. No.

Q. Do you still worry about me and my depression reoccurring?

A. Yes

Q Are there any warning signs?

A. Lack of libido, crying, lack of passion for life, low tolerance, mood swings, crying, letting appearance go, just simple things like managing the house and chores. glazed look over my eyes as if I am distant from life.

Q Has there been a definitive turning point for me or has it been gradual

A. Yes, coming out of the hospital made you a stronger person. Gave you more confidence and taught you how to manage and become more self aware.

Q Do you think anti-depressants make a difference?

A. Yes with regards to controlling mood and helping you get on an even keel again.

Q. Before I experienced postnatal depression would you say that I have depressive periods.

A. No, but I didn’t know the signs. Now I can spot a depressed person in the street.

Q. In your opinion do you believe that depression is an actual illness or just an excuse?

A. It has been medically proven that depression is an illness caused by a chemical imbalance.

Q. When you hear the words mental illness what are you immediate thoughts?

A. My wife!

Q. Why do you think there is such a stigma attached to metal illness?

A. People do not know enough about it and automatically think of doctors in white coats , crazy people and criminals.

Q. Do you think that openly sharing your feelings makes a difference to mental
Health?

A. Yes 100% otherwise you will have the pressure cooker effect whereby all the emotions build up and up and eventually explode.






2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, tears in my eyes, I think I love your husband!!! What a honey.... as in, how awesome to have a husband who is so supportive and there for you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has never faltered once. I do not know were he gets his strength from. I am so very thankful for his love and support

    ReplyDelete